I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Thursday, May 8, 2008

I don't watch as much TV as you're thinking

Now I know it seems like I watch hours and hours and hours of television. I'm telling you, it's not true. I have a handful of shows to which, for varying reasons, I'm very loyal. The good shows I enjoy are The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park, The Office, 30 Rock, and a few others. The bad shows I enjoy are American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Hell's Kitchen, and a few others. That's about it.

I record those shows in our DVR, watch them quickly without commercials, and get on with my evening.

So don't judge me because a number of my recent references have been television-related. I'm not as bad as you think.

America's Next Top Model contestant Anya did a semi-Wicked Witch impression as she described herself on a photo shoot: "I'm melting! Melting!"

Let's hope my next Oz reference is from a source that's a bit more ... elevated.

p.s. I don't see the Anya appeal...

No comments: