I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Oz is everywhere, I tells ya

Arrested Development is up there with Seinfeld as one of the funniest sitcoms ever produced. It was downright tragic when Fox canceled it. And just as painful when it didn't get picked up by some other network. Last night I was revisiting Season 3. I watched three episodes, and one of them contained two Oz references.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the references and I can't. Damnit. I should have written them down last night. Anyway, I searched the internets for help, and it turns out AD has tons of Oz references. Yet another reason Arrested Development ruled.

In addition to Arrested D, I got another reference today when NPR was discussing Bush's visit to the Middle East. I wasn't paying close attention, as my dinner was burning, but some choir of Israeli kids were singing a song for his arrival. Can you guess what song? That's right, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. NPR appears to be in love with this song.

No comments: