I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Have some self-respect, American Pie franchise

So the first American Pie movie was fine. It had some funny moments. Since then the franchise has made an embarrassment of itself. The only "star" who is even willing to participate anymore is Eugene Levy, which shocks me. He's so hilarious in the Christopher Guest films. What possible motivation could he have other than an easy pay check?

Comedy Central has been running commercials for "American Pie: The Naked Mile." I think it went straight to video when it came out. The latest commercial has a frat boy telling a midget (because, by the way, every frat boy thinks midgets are hilarious) to, "Go back to Oz, Toto." The midget corrects the frat boy with, "Toto was the dog, you idiot."

Yeah, this movie can't miss. (...At least I got an Oz reference, I guess.)

No comments: