I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Saturday, January 5, 2008

compliments of David Foster Wallace

I've been reading David Foster Wallace's "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." This is a must read for any cynic who's taken or going to take a cruise. I don't think anyone could have described the oddity of a cruising experience more perfectly.

After I finished that essay, I moved on to an essay that DFW wrote about spending time on the set of David Lynch's Lost Highway. I found my reference about halfway through the essay when DFW writes:

Wild at Heart itself, for all its heavy references to The Wizard of Oz, is actually a pomo-ish remake of Sidney Lumet's 1959 The Fugitive Kind."

I don't know what "pomo-ish" means, but I was happy to get my reference.

p.s. DFW looks exactly like my wife's ex-boss. Every time I talk to him I imagine I'm talking to David Foster Wallace.

p.p.s. The pic is a Mii someone created of DFW. Hilarious.

No comments: