I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Friday, January 11, 2008

it's like totally Wicked, man

Wicked seems to be coming up everywhere. First, I was out to lunch with work friends today and one of them -- Erica -- mentioned she was going to see Wicked that night. I will have to go to the employee database on Monday and get her picture to post. She won't care if I post it here, right?

Then, while having dinner with my wife, a cab stopped outside the window with a Wicked billboard on top.

Oh, there was one other thing -- after dinner we came home and watched last night's (Thursday) 30 Rock. At one point Kenneth is leaving town to go back to Georgia. He's saying goodbye to Tracy Jordan and his posse, and says to Grizz, wide-eyed, "Grizz, I'm going to miss you most of all." (Clearly mimicking Dorothy saying goodbye to the Scarecrow.)

So far, the ubiquity of The Wizard of Oz in '08 has been remarkable. I just thought about renaming my blog "The Ubiquitous Oz." ...Nah, that sounds pretty pompous.

No comments: