I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

four in 24

If you thought Kiefer Sutherland could get a lot done in 24 hours, I got FOUR Oz references in that amount of time. Yeah, I know, MIND BLOWING, maaaan. Well, I was excited. Because I've been so bad about updating the blog, I'll add one a day for the next four days (in no particular order).

So first I'll bust out my wife. Love the girl to death, but she's got a really bad habit. She's hopeless addicted to Days of Our Lives. She's not proud of it, but at the same time, doesn't do anything to stop. It's hopeless. How do we stay together? you ask. My answer: just barely.

Because of this nasty habit of hers, I'm pretty much up to date on who's cheating on who, who's plotting who's death, who wears an eye patch (I'm pretty sure there are several characters), who's acting skills can only rival, say, Mariah Carey's, who's died and returned multiple times, and so on. I've stopped asking myself years ago why a town of, it seems, about 40 people, has like eight detectives, seven doctors, and then a hand full of people who don't do much but walk around their houses in towels and make out noisily quite often.

So blah blah blah -- there was an Oz reference on DoOL (Dool??). One asshole came in and another asshole was reading The Wizard of Oz to her daughter. 'Nuff said.

Oh, I can do a pretty good impression of the CONSTANT look of smugness on this asshole's face:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey...that's John Black! I too am with a Dool obsessed companion lol. I'm also a huge Oz fan also, I really enjoy your blog!

who cares said...

I feel your pain, Jay. (It's amazing that John Black, having amnesia, forgot everything except how smug he is!).

Thanks for the nice comment.

I checked out your blog(s). I just got back from The Dark Knight about twenty minutes ago. Totally agree with your review. Amazing film.