I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Monday, July 14, 2008

sad reference


I got an Oz reference today in a catalog I was mindlessly flipping through. But I spent the whole day at a wake and I'm too exhausted to explain the reference. My word will have to be taken at face value today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I received this today in my "Dare Foods Grab Life By the Tastebuds" email.

I'm tuned into "The Wizard of Oz" right now, because I'm appearing in a spectacular production of it in Long Beach, CA.

Cheers!
Cecily Gish
****************
Dorothy Gale’s Words Of Wisdom Part II
In the 1939 movie classic, The Wizard Of Oz, the Tin Man asked, “What have you learned, Dorothy? ”And she replied,“…if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard.”

With fuel prices shattering records on a daily basis, why not explore the sights and sounds of your own "backyard"? Make sure to check out our Grab Life by the Tastebuds Regional Road Trips for off-the-beaten-path favorites from across the U.S. Another great place to find the perfect road trip is at your local Chamber of Commerce or or automobile club office. Ask for brochures and information on local attractions, parks, museums, and entertainment venues within a 100-mile radius of home. You’ll be amazed to discover just how many hidden treasures there are in your own backyard!

Make sure to take along a package of grainsfirst on your road trip and stop by a local farm or farmers market for some local cheese and fruit. You'll be able to put together a quick and easy snack and be able to "taste" the local flavor. See recipe for Farmers Market Special.

who cares said...

Nice Oz reference!

Has your Oz show opened? If so, post a link.