I'm testing a theory that Victor Fleming's masterpiece "The Wizard of Oz" is so woven into popular culture that someone or something makes reference to it at least once every day. It comes up in conversations, songs, TV shows, ads, other films, colloquial saying, etc. For one year I'll be updating this blog each time Oz comes up. Check back daily to see if the theory holds water, or melts in it. (And try it yourself. You'll start to notice Oz everywhere, I promise.)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Engulfed in Obligations

Now I know why I've been so bad at updating my blog. Because there's no goddamn time for anything any more. Besides my "normal, everyday" life (wife, work, friends, etc.), I have to keep up with email, phone calls, facebook, stupid fantasy football league, and a million other things that waste my time. I shouldn't complain -- they are all self-imposed. There's no rule that says I have to update my stupid facebook status almost every day. I just feel compelled.

David Sedaris had another Oz reference in When You Are Engulfed in Flames. He was quoting the Cowardly Lion -- "I do believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do."

Btw, did you know Australians refer to their home country as "Oz", at least in print. And least one Australian. I don't know about the rest of them. Know how I know that? Facebook. See, this is why I have to keep up. How depressing.

No comments: